[debian-devel:10269] Re: ASCII24

佐野です。

Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> From: Taketoshi Sano <xlj06203@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [debian-devel:10092] Re: ASCII24
> Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 00:19:20 +0900

> > 問題は、日本から英語で議論をするために参加する人がなかなかいないこと。
> > 結局彼らにとってみれば普段使ってないものはわからないわけだから、使う
> > 人間がちゃんとレポートしたりパッチを送ったりしなきゃいけないのだけれど、
> > 現状ではまだまだ不足していると思う。
>
> でも反応がまたニブイ。。。例えば gs-aladdin のパッチは
> マージされるようですが、あれ問題ないと思います?
> (gs-aladdin に限れば問題ないかもわからないけど)
>
> # devel だったらツッコんだんだけど、あの話は私信だったんでしょうね?
> # 見落しかな。

いや、BTS へのレポートと、それへのコメントです。(だと思った。)
 http://www.debian.org/Bugs/ 以下で gs の Bug Report を探して
 "boring messages" を読めば書いてあるはず。(違ってたらゴメン)

香田さんは gs-aladdin-vflib-ja のメンテナーとしていろいろコメントできる
ことがあるはずですから、どんどん Bug Report にコメントを出してあげて
ください。宛先は 41570@bugs.debian.org です。

> # でも皆さん Debian にはやさしいな〜。

まあ Debian にもいろいろ問題はありますが、ここで議論しても始まらないですから、
(今 JP Merge についてやっているように) むこうで議論しなきゃ、ですね。

ところで大元の Wichert の発言について、直接彼に問い合わせた返事が
戻ってきたので、紹介します。

なお、Wichert 本人もこの件に関しては

  >> I remind myself that this article is reviewed in Debian JP Weekly News
  >> (http://www2.osk.3web.ne.jp/~shishamo/debian/trans/djwn/wn083099.html)
  >> which is linked from Debian Weekly News Vol.33 on Aug. 29 1999
  >> (http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/1999/33/)
  >>
  >> I think that to clear these things up, the following 4 mails between you
  >> and me related to this trouble should be published on open mailing lists
  >> and next Debian JP Weekly News:

  >> What do you think about this ? Are you agree with me to publish these mails ?
  >>
  >> Thanks.

という私からの問い合わせに対して

  || Previously Taketoshi Sano wrote:
  || > I think that to clear these things up, the following 4 mails between you=
  || =20
  || > and me related to this trouble should be published on open mailing lists
  || > and next Debian JP Weekly News:
  || Indeed. Can you put them online somewhere and post a link to them?
  || Wichert.

と書いているので、この件は続報として JP Weekly News に載せてください。

  * [debian-devel:xxxx] Re: ASCII24 (continued)

      + Taketoshi Sano asked Wichert about some funny talk on the web published source.
        (http://www.ascii.co.jp/ascii24/call.cgi?file=issue/1999/0817/topi02.html)
        And Wichert Akkerman gave the reply in quite politely.
        In summary, the reporter of this article did some mistake when he made
        his summary from the conversation with Wichert. We now negotiate
        the editor of that web magazine to correct that article.

        http://www.debian.or.jp/Lists-Archives/debian-devel/199909/msg00xxx.html

てな感じで紹介してもらえれば、と思います。

# 紹介してもらうメールの中にドラフトがあるというのもなんだなと思って、
# 別にしようかと思ったのですが、逆にこの場合はそれもいいかと考え直して
# やっぱり一緒にします。

では、メールを引用します。

--- Begin Message ---
Hello.

I am a member of Debian Project, and a board member of Debian JP Project.

I cc:ed this mail to board@debian.or.jp, this is an address for
the board member only in Debian JP Project. Anyone can send mails
to this address, but only board members can read mails from this.

Recently, members in Debian JP Project talks about your talking
at LinuxWorld Conference & Expo.

At http://www.ascii.co.jp/ascii24/call.cgi?file=issue/1999/0817/topi02.html,
there is a report about dinner party of Debian developers.

In this article, the reporter (I don't no precise name of him, but
that article has signed as 《TERO MODA》) ask the question to you:

"Are there any Japanese people in Debian Project ?"

And according to this article, you answerd:

"In Japan, the other project works separately. So I suppose
that there may be no Japanese people in Debian Project.
But I think that no member in Debian say "You should go into
the project in Japan. Get out here" when a Japanese wish to
enter our project. We are welcome in anytime"

# This is my translation from Japanese text, because the editor of
# this magazine would not tell us the original english conversation
# nor the name of the reporter.

Many developer in JP Project are discouraged about this report.

Because We know at last 15 members (all Japanese people) from
Debian JP Project already joined into Debian Project, and more
11 members are waiting in new maintainer queue.

One of our member ask the editor of this magazine
(via otayori@xxxxxxxxxxx) about the reliability of this report,
and if you speak these words as a joke.

The editor replies that you speak that in fact, and no joking.

And more, the editor wrote that we should ask you about this.

I can not believe that you really do NOT know the fact that
Japanese member IS in Debian Project already, because you send
e-mail with kindly advice several times.

I and members in Debian JP Project are eager to know if you
tell the reporter that, and if it is truth, then why did you
told that.

Thanks.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@xxxxxxxxxxx>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Whoah, things seem to have gone a bit out-of-hand

Previously Taketoshi Sano wrote:
> In this article, the reporter (I don't no precise name of him, but
> that article has signed as $B!T(BTERO MODA$B!U(B) ask the
> question to you:

Looking at the stack of bussiness cards I have here I think it was Tero
S. Moda. His card lists him as `Japanese staff writer' for ComInNet.

> "Are there any Japanese people in Debian Project ?"
>
> And according to this article, you answerd:
>
> "In Japan, the other project works separately. So I suppose
> that there may be no Japanese people in Debian Project.
> But I think that no member in Debian say "You should go into
> the project in Japan. Get out here" when a Japanese wish to
> enter our project. We are welcome in anytime"

I'm quite sure that is not what I said. The gist of what I said was
something like:
  `I actually don't know how many Japanese people there are in the
   Debian Projects. There has been a Debian-JP project for a while
   now which has been doing a lot of work on making a Japanse
   version of Debian, and it is slowly being integrated with the main
   Debian project. If you want an exact number of developers you would
   have to ask them, since I don't know the numbers'.

> Because We know at last 15 members (all Japanese people) from
> Debian JP Project already joined into Debian Project, and more
> 11 members are waiting in new maintainer queue.

Nice to see some numbers. I was guessing a bit lower, but I can't keep
track of all developers which is why I couldn't give the reporter a
number and referred him to Debian-JP for more information about Japanese
developers.

> The editor replies that you speak that in fact, and no joking.

I wasn't, I fear I might have been more clear in some answers and might
have been misinterpreted a bit as well; basically the reporter caught me
off guard in the middle of dinner and asked if he could ask me some
questions. We had some slight language-problems as well, since for
English was not the native languagre for either of us.

Do you want me to try to track down the article and ask for a
correction? I would really like to fix any misconceptions that this may
have caused..

Wichert.

E-Mail: wichert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi. Thank you for your reply.

In <19990901154606.O21826@xxxxxxxx>,
 at Wed, 1 Sep 1999 15:46:06 +0200,
 on Re: about magazine's report on your words,
  Wichert Akkerman <wichert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Whoah, things seem to have gone a bit out-of-hand

I think that the reporter and the editor tried to make summary,
but they failed in important point. It is not your responsibility, I think.

> Previously Taketoshi Sano wrote:
> > In this article, the reporter (I don't no precise name of him, but
> > that article has signed as 《TERO MODA》) ask the

               sorry for 2byte code. This means "<<TERO MODA>>".

> > question to you:
>
> Looking at the stack of bussiness cards I have here I think it was Tero
> S. Moda. His card lists him as `Japanese staff writer' for ComInNet.

I see.

> > "Are there any Japanese people in Debian Project ?"
> >
> > And according to this article, you answerd:
> >
> > "In Japan, the other project works separately. So I suppose
> > that there may be no Japanese people in Debian Project.
> > But I think that no member in Debian say "You should go into
> > the project in Japan. Get out here" when a Japanese wish to
> > enter our project. We are welcome in anytime"
>
> I'm quite sure that is not what I said. The gist of what I said was
> something like:
>   `I actually don't know how many Japanese people there are in the
>    Debian Projects. There has been a Debian-JP project for a while
>    now which has been doing a lot of work on making a Japanse
>    version of Debian, and it is slowly being integrated with the main
>    Debian project. If you want an exact number of developers you would
>    have to ask them, since I don't know the numbers'.

I am glad to hear from you. This relieve me and maybe will relieve other
members in our Debian JP Project. Can I quote your mail to other members ?

> > Because We know at last 15 members (all Japanese people) from
> > Debian JP Project already joined into Debian Project, and more
> > 11 members are waiting in new maintainer queue.
>
> Nice to see some numbers. I was guessing a bit lower, but I can't keep
> track of all developers which is why I couldn't give the reporter a
> number and referred him to Debian-JP for more information about Japanese
> developers.

I suppose maybe more Japanese people in Debian Project, because some
Japanese people join Debian Project only, not in Debian JP Project.

> > The editor replies that you speak that in fact, and no joking.
>
> I wasn't, I fear I might have been more clear in some answers and might
> have been misinterpreted a bit as well; basically the reporter caught me
> off guard in the middle of dinner and asked if he could ask me some
> questions. We had some slight language-problems as well, since for
> English was not the native languagre for either of us.

I believe you. Thank you for explanation.

> Do you want me to try to track down the article and ask for a
> correction? I would really like to fix any misconceptions that this may
> have caused..

We tried to let the editor (and the reporter through the editor) correct
that article at first. Please let us use following sentences from your reply
to explain them.

  | I'm quite sure that is not what I said. The gist of what I said was
  | something like:
  |   `I actually don't know how many Japanese people there are in the
  |    Debian Projects. There has been a Debian-JP project for a while
  |    now which has been doing a lot of work on making a Japanse
  |    version of Debian, and it is slowly being integrated with the main
  |    Debian project. If you want an exact number of developers you would
  |    have to ask them, since I don't know the numbers'.

I don't know if they try to ask you directly, but if they do,
please explain them. And if we can't let them correct this,
I will tell you about this again to ask you to negotiate them.

Thank you again. I am happy to be a member in Debian :)

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.or.jp>,<sano@debian.org>,<kgh12351@xxxxxxxxxxx>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Previously Taketoshi Sano wrote:
> I think that the reporter and the editor tried to make summary,
> but they failed in important point. It is not your responsibility, I think.

I still feel it's partly my fault for allowing this to happen. This
whole thing is new to me, so I guess I need to learn how to handle press
better..

> I am glad to hear from you. This relieve me and maybe will relieve other
> members in our Debian JP Project. Can I quote your mail to other members ?

Certainly!

> I believe you. Thank you for explanation.

You're welcome. I hope I have clear any doubts or incertainties there
were. If you have any further comments please don't hestitate to ask me!

> We tried to let the editor (and the reporter through the editor) correct
> that article at first. Please let us use following sentences from your reply
> to explain them.

Of course!

> I don't know if they try to ask you directly, but if they do,
> please explain them. And if we can't let them correct this,
> I will tell you about this again to ask you to negotiate them.

Okay, thanks for taking the effort to clear this up!