[debian-devel:12293] Re: i18n'd boot-floppies ?

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 06:39:32PM +0900, Taketoshi Sano wrote:
> It is included in kon2 package. "mkminifont" is the program which create
> minifont-file (reduced font file).
>
> sample usage is
>
>  1. invoke kon
>  2. do "zcat /usr/doc/kon2/minifont.list.gz | mkminifont >minifont-file"
>     on kon terminal
>
> where "minifont.list" is the file which includes all the required characters
> 1 at each line.
I'll have a look on it.

re that instruction about bterm usage.  I am pretty sure that this file should
be in CVS.  A person, who's going to install boot-floppies package may not want
to look for the document in Internet. :)  I have committed it into CVS under
README.bterm.

> Here is japanese.src:
>
> <language name="Japanese" charset="euc-jp" font="LatArCyrHeb-16" acm="iso01">
>     <name>Japanese</name>
>     <hint>You have chosen Japanese.  Press Enter to proceed</hint>
>     <list>
>         <name>Choose Language Variant</name>
>
>         <item arch="i386 powerpc" locale="ja" acm="iso01" font="LatArCyrHeb-16"
> keymap="i386/qwerty/us" msgcat="ja">
>             <name>English (QWERTY)</name>
>         </item>
>     </list>
> </language>
>
> What is "font" and "acm" ?
These are intended to be used with console-tools package.  consolechars program
needs these to set the console into correct state.  Since Linux console does
not support Japanese in any way (at least, to the best of my knowledge), these
are of no use for Japanese.

> And how is "font" ? Is this related to files under /usr/share/confolefonts/ ?
Yes.  But see my comment above.

> I think many japanese user prefer keymap="i386/qwerty/jp106".
> (Though I myself prefer "us" key)
Well, all English words here (except for, maybe, QWERTY in localization
environment name) are to be translated.  So if you could do that, this would
be very good.

--
Mike