Debian at Hiroshima International School

Dear friends,

I read in the news about the Linux in schools project. I read that there
are 400,000 windows 98 PCs in Japanese schools.

Here at Hiroshima International School we are using
Skolelinux/Debian-edu. Its a custom debian distribution (CDD) for
schools and universities. It provides a complete solution, from
campus-wide file server, to individual desktop.

Most importantly, it includes LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project). With
this we can use a modern computer as terminal server, and old PCs as
thin clients. The old win98 PCs would be perfect for this. Each school
could buy one high-spec PC (dual core, 4GB memory) for about 40 thin
clients. There would be no other cost (maybe some network cable and
hubs).

At Hiroshima International School, we still have pentium-166 PCs working
as thin clients. They run very fast!

I think this news is a good chance to get Debian into Japanese schools.
Please contact the Debian-edu team to work together.
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu

I will help in any way I can. We have been running LTSP for 3 years, and
Debian-edu for 6 months. Maybe my school can be a source of information
for the project.

Sorry for writing english!

Thank you

Nigel