[debian-devel:09928] Bcc: severity 38107 important

--- Begin Message ---
severity 38107 important

thanks

Current man-db can not display manpages-ja correctly because
it always uses latin1 as nroff device. This is hard-coded in
include/manconfig.h

 $ grep -n latin1 include/manconfig.h
 129:#    define NROFF   "/usr/bin/nroff -mandoc -Tlatin1"

So all Debian users who require Japanese support can not view
manpages written in Japanese while the package manpages-ja already
provided as Debian package. For that users, current man-db is same
as just not-being, since it is useless for this purpose at all. and
we can not provide the new debian package man-db-ja for this special
purpose since I have been told from one of the Debian mentors that
"Forking a new debian package if the debian maintainer doesn't answer
to bug reports is *NOT* acceptable."

And more, I have been told that "The right solution in this case is
to raise the severity of the bug to 'important' *and* to email
debian-qa@lists.debian.org asking for an NMU to be made to close
this bug report. (This usually solves the problem quickly)."

According to this rule, now I raise the severity of this bug to
important. If this bug will not be closed after freeze of potato,
I will send email to debian-qa team to ask for an NMU.

Please close this bug as fast as possible. We require the support
for manpages in our native language to promulgate the Debian system.

Hope Debian to be the best system for our users.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <kgh12351@xxxxxxxxxxx>,<sano@debian.org>

--- End Message ---