[debian-devel:10636] Re: [jec@xxxxxxxxxxxx: ANNOUNCE: Xfsft-1.1.7]

Hi.

In article <19991014220128.A6009@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 foka@xxxxxxxxxxx (Anthony Fok) writes:

> Does the following messages mean that Xfsft will become part of
> XFree86-4.0.0?  Did the XFree86 Team decide to go with Xfsft instead of
> X-TT?  If so, what would happen to X-TT?
>
> (I'm sure both X-TT and Xfsft work well with CJK fonts nowadays.
> I don't know.  :-)

Have you read the CHANGELOG of xfree86 ?

  | XFree86 3.9Ah (28 April 1998)
  |
  | 1653. Add FreeType code to lib/font/FreeType, but the build-related
  |       things haven't been done yet (David Turner, Robert Wilhelm,
  |       Werner Lemberg, Mark Leisher, Juliusz Chroboczek).

  | XFree86 3.9Nd (6 September 1998)
  |
  | 1810. Allow the FreeType code to be build as an X server font module.
  | 1808. Updates to XFree86 specific parts of FreeType (#1792, 1933,
  |       Robert Wilhelm, Juliusz Chroboczek).
  | 1807. Add the base FreeType 1.1 distribution to /xc/extras/FreeType, and
  |       update the build procedure to get the source from there.

  | XFree86 3.9Ni (6 October 1998)
  |
  | 1895. Resync the FreeType server interface with Xfsft-1.0.2, including
  |       code to read encodings from plain text files (#2013-2016,
  |       Juliusz Chroboczek).

  | XFree86 3.9Nw (17 January 1999)

  | 2158. Add support to the loader for vendor-defined ABI classes.  These classes
  |       are specified as a string.  The main use is for third party modules that
  |       themselves load sub-modules (like X-TT).

  | XFree86 3.9Ny (26 January 1999)
  |
  | 2192. Fix a FreeType build problem on 64-bit platforms (#2411, Alan Hourihane).

  | XFree86 3.9Nz (1 February 1999)
  |
  | 2198. Add common encoding support for the Speedo, Type1 and FreeType
  |       font backends (#2385, Juliusz Chroboczek).
  | 2197. Update lib/font/FreeType to xfsft-1.0.3 (#2385, Juliusz Chroboczek).
  | 2196. X-TT updates for our loader (X-TT team and Nozomi Ytow).
  | 2195. Import X-TrueType 1.2pre-19990125 (X-TT team).

As you can see, xfsft has been the part of XFree86 alpha (pre4.0) tree,
as well as X-TrueType. They are in xc/lib/font/

I don't know what happens to X-TT, but I have heard the xfsft can
now handle Japanese fonts quite well, so possibly we (Debian) can use it
without sacrifice of Japanese font handling.

ISHIKAWA Mutsumi <ishikawa@debian.org> posted his thought on debian-devel@jp
several months ago. (He is the member of XFree86 & X-TT, and was the local
maintainer of X-TT related JP Package) Maybe he can explain something, but
I don't know he has time for it (He seems very busy now).

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@xxxxxxxxxxx>