[debian-devel:10764] Re: man-db locale support

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 11:50:19AM +0900, Taketoshi Sano wrote:

> This ja_JP.ujis directory name is descripted as an example for manpages
> directory in FHS 2.0, so this seems the standard compatible name.
>
> There are discussions in Debian JP for the preferable place of manpages
> written in Japanese. And there, the moving from ja/ to ja_JP.ujis/ tree
> for manpages written in eucJP, and making the link by
>
>    dh_link usr/share/man/ja_JP.ujis/man1/foo.1.gz \
>              usr/share/man/ja/man1/foo.1.gz
>
> is proposed. I think this is reasonable solution for potato. Isn't it ?
>
> Though FHS 2.0 shows ja_JP.ujis for name of locale for Japanese EUC-JP
> char-set, in X11 (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/locale.alias) japanese is
> an alias for ja_JP.eucJP, while in glibc2 (/usr/share/locale/locale.alias)
> has the following:
>
>   japanese        ja_JP.SJIS
>   japanese.euc    ja_JP.eucJP
>
> I know neither of the reason why ja_JP.ujis is used in FHS 2.0, nor
> the reason why japanese is ja_JP.SJIS in glibc2.
>
> But I wonder that we should switch from ja_JP.ujis to ja_JP.eucJP
> in order to conform the glibc2 and X11 definition. This requires
> the change in the examples of FHS 2.0.

OK, a quick grep in my archives of the fhs mailist show me this 5 years
old message, which explains why FHS ...

On Wed, Mar 09, 1994, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> [...] I have been recently communicating with a
> developer involved with the JE project (Japanese Extensions to Linux)
> about FSSTND and part of our discussion has concerned the subject of
> manual pages (as follows).
>
> Manabe Takashi <manabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> % I moved all Japanese manual pages to /*/man/ja_JP.ujis/ at latest
> % version up. I can not change all at once. I'm trying to replace
> % Japanese input systems which contain a lot of binaries, system
> % dictionaries, and user dictionaries (these dictionaries will grow)
> [...]
>
> And:
>
> % ja_JP.ujis is used to distinguish locale.  There are three code sets
> % in Japan; JIS, UJIS(or EUC-J) and SJIS. We set ja_JP.jis, ja_JP.ujis,
> % ja_JP.sjis to LANG env.  The Linux C library is not support locale
> % ja_JP (Yes, I know that we must work.), but some Japanese environments
> % (Canna, Wnn, Xsi version of XFree86) use LANG to distinguish a code
> % set. I modified man-1.1 to support Japanese man pages. This modified
> % man see LANG, then search a man page source files in
> % /*/man/`getenv("LANG")`/man?/ before /*/man/man?/.  If found, call
> % Japanized nroff (Japanized cawf)

As you can see, if you have good reasons, you can get to change the FHS,
as the original reasons may not be any more valid ( hacked support from
an obsoleted version of man, problems with locale in an obsoleted
version of libc).

fab