[debian-devel:11530] Re: Installed man-db 2.3.10-70 (source i386)

Hi, Fabrizio. Thank you for your working on the man-db system
and groff.

In article <20000205114238.1543.qmail@master.debian.org>,
  at 5 Feb 00 11:42:38 GMT,
    on Installed man-db 2.3.10-70 (source i386),
 fpolacco@debian.org (Fabrizio Polacco) writes:

> Installed:

> man-db_2.3.10-70_i386.deb
>   to dists/potato/main/binary-i386/doc/man-db_2.3.10-70.deb
>   replacing man-db_2.3.10-69s.deb

>  man-db (2.3.10-70) frozen unstable; urgency=low
>  .

>    * added (but not enabled) new option -H (-Thtml) to take advantage of
>      new html driver (still experimental but getting better) in groff.
>    * as a consequence, added versioned dependency to groff >= 1.15

I have not check wheter groff 1.15 supports Japanese characters, does it ?
If it does, then please ignore the rest of this mail. Excuse me.

I have heard that some members in JP project is working to include
Japanese support in groff at the upstream level. And the maintainer
of jgroff has sent the patch for Japanese support to you.
So your groff package may support Japanese (euc-JP) encoded manpages already.

If the current groff package does not support Japanese, then I think
the users who require the support for Japanese encoded manpages will
have difficulties, because we can not use the "provide with version",
and because the jgroff is required to display those manpages.

Can you consider one of several option:

1) add jgroff in Depends: line,

       Depends: groff >= 1.15|jgroff, libc6 (>= 2.1)

2) Depends: groff without version and adding
   the Recommend or Suggest line with groff >= 1.15

       Depends: groff, libc6 (>= 2.1)
       Suggests: bsdmainutils, groff >= 1.15

or

       Depends: groff, libc6 (>= 2.1)
       Recommends: groff >= 1.15
       Suggests: bsdmainutils

3) Merge the Japanese support into your groff, and
   add depends to that version

       Depends: groff >= (the version with Japanese support), libc6 (>= 2.1)

Sorry to disturb you. We hope that we can solve this problem completely
in woody by integrating the jgroff into your groff. (If you do the option
3) above, then this is done in potato, and we all very appreciate your effort.)

If you think this should be filed on BTS, then I (or someone else in
JP project) will do it.

Thanks.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@xxxxxxxxxxx>