[debian-devel:12745] using addon pack for base (Re: not i18ned part in b-f 2.2.15)

Hi.

 (This is the topic for debian-boot. please reply to that list).

In <y5aog4aharw.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
  on 07 Jul 2000 12:36:19 +0900, I wrote:

> To show the Japanese messages on the console, we need some
> terminal emulator such as kon and jfbterm. I think Chinese
> requires something another one (maybe cce). Maybe jfbterm
> can be used for not only Japanese, but also CN-GB and EUC-KR
> (at least it say so in its description). And we requires
> locale-{ja,ko,zh,vi} to use the locale for our languages
> with glibc2.1, I think.
>
> But the current scripts/basedisks/*PACKAGES* just include
> only "locales".
>
> To achieve the full-support for our languages, base should
> incudes them. On the other hand, I'm sure that the size of
> base should be reduced, and we don't want to inflate base
> with the packages which we won't use generally.
>
> So I did not know what we should do, until I have found
> the following codes in extract_base() in extract_base.c:
>
>     sprintf(prtbuf,"%s/%s",Archive_Dir,BASETGZ);
>     file=strdup(prtbuf);
>     status=extract_from_file(file,_("Base System"));
>     free(file);
>     if (status == 0) { /* Don't extract add-ons if extraction of base system failed. */
>       sprintf(prtbuf,"%s/%s",Archive_Dir,ADDONS);
>       if (NAME_ISREG( prtbuf,&statbuf)) {
>         file=strdup(prtbuf);
>         status=extract_from_file(file,_("Add-ons Set"));
>         free(file);
>       }
>     }
>
> ADDONS which is used here is defined in dbootstrap.h as
>
> #define ADDONS  "addons.tgz"
>
> This code is inserted at Sun Apr 11 20:41:05 1999 UTC, and it have been
> there for over a year.
>
> I hope this can be used for "language-addon".
>
> In this scheme, when LINGUA is specified for the language which
> need some special packages, then dbootstrap.h is modified to
>
>  #define ADDONS  "addon"-$LINGUA".tgz"
>
> using $LINGUA, and add the entry for this extra tarball in
>
>    files_to_fetch[] = {
>      { "rescue.bin",   kernel_image_path, nf_extract_kernel,  SERIES_OS   },
>      { "drivers.tgz",  drivers_path,      nf_extract_drivers, SERIES_OS   },
>      { "base2_2.tgz",  BASETGZ,           nf_extract_base,    SERIES_BASE },
> +    { "addon-$LINGUA.tgz",  ADDONS,      nf_extract_base,    SERIES_BASE },
>      { NULL,           NULL,              NULL,               0           }
>    };
>
> which is defined in nf_install() in net-fetch.c, as well as adding
> some required code into extract_base() in extract_base.c for floppy
> install:
>
>    } else {
>      status=extract_from_floppy(Archive_Dir,"/target/" BASETGZ,_("Base System"));
> +    if (status == 0) { /* Don't extract add-ons if extraction of base system failed. */
> +      status=extract_from_floppy(Archive_Dir,"/target/" ADDONS,_("Addon System"));
> +    }
>    }
>
> maybe extract_from_floppy() in extract_base.c should be modified
> in this case, as
>
>    }
> [...]

How do you think about this ? Having several localized base tar ball
is not smart solution for Debian, I think. If the "official" Debian
b-f does have the scheme to use add-on pack on the single base tar ball,
then it will work for all localized installer, I think.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@xxxxxxxxxxx>