[debian-devel:13213] Re: not /usr/share/doc, but /usr/doc in potato

佐野@浜松です。

In <y5ar94xxcv8.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on "Wed, 1 Nov 2000 00:56:15 +0900",
  I wrote:

> 時間が無くて正確な URI を調べられませんでしたが、たしか昨年の
>  /usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc 移行に関する議論の際に、potato の
> リリース目標として移行前の policy (2.5.1.0) 準拠なパッケージでも
>  OK という合意 (というか技術委員会の裁定) があったはずだと思います。

 JP diary にありますね。

   http://www.debian.or.jp/diary/?1999090

です。(なんか既にこの頃の話題って懐しいものがあるなあ。)

具体的には

  http://www.debian.or.jp/diary/?1999090&to=199909061S1#199909061S1

にある

  @ [Result] Moving to the FHS: ... (debian-ctte, debian-policy):

    Short form:
    When moving to FHS, we need to provide /usr/doc/<package> -> /usr/share/doc
    /<package> symlink for backwards fsstnd compatability.
    Long form:
    See the debian-ctte mail archives.
    Basically, however, Wichert asked the committee for a migration strategy on
    August 5: http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-ctte-9908/
    msg00036.html. Since then, we've gotten the committee roughly functioning,
    and every committee member has at least posted that they're still active.
    The voting period ended with three votes for the proposal which we
    approved: http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-ctte-9908/
    msg00038.html

と、さらにここから辿った

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte-9908/msg00038.html

にある

     This is how it works:

     1.   Policy 3.X mandates that packages that move the docs to
          /usr/share/doc must provide a compatibility symlink in /usr/doc.
          This shall allow packages to incrementally move to policy 3.X,
          while providing compatibility with older systems.
          (/usr/doc/package symlink is handled by package)

 Thus, potato ships with a full /usr/doc/ (some of which is symlinks),
 and a partial /usr/share/doc.

     2.  Post potato, we continue the transition, with the symlinks in
         place. Before freeze, we file important bugs against any
         package that has not been moved over (in one and a half
         release periods, we may be actually able to accomplish this),
         with NMU-fests to bring over the others.

 Thus, potato+1 (woody) ships with a full /usr/share/doc, and a
 /usr/doc full of symlinks.

     3.   At a later date, another policy (say, 4.X) shall ask for
          packages to no longer provide the link (and possibly remove
          links from /usr/doc). We can also provide a script (possibly
          in base-files postinst) that rm's symlinks from within
          /usr/doc. woody+1 may ship with such a script. (there was a
          proposal as well that potato+2 (woody+1) ships with just the
          prerms, and not the base file script, and potato+3 ships
          with the base-file script, but I am not sure this long a
          reversion period is required).

 No dependency on this base-files shall be required, since they shall
 work with or without a symlink in /usr/doc (and /usr/share/doc shall
 be fully populated by then).

Thus, partial upgrades to potato and woody have a complete /usr/doc,
and full upgrades to woody have a complete /usr/share, and symlinks
throughout /usr/doc. Partial upgrades to anything beyond woody might
have old files left in /usr/doc, but they'll get moved when whoever
finally gets around to run an apt-get dist-upgrade.

です。

と

 Thus, potato+1 (woody) ships with a full /usr/share/doc, and a
 /usr/doc full of symlinks.

に注目。 woody 版のパッケージで FHS 移行を完了していないものは
早目に済ませておきましょう。woody の場合は Important bug です。

--
     # (わたしのおうちは浜松市、「夜のお菓子」で有名さ。)
    <kgh12351@xxxxxxxxxxx> : Taketoshi Sano (佐野 武俊)