[debian-devel:15188] Re: sponsor wanted

[Cc:ing to Debian JP developer list]

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:53:01 +0900,
Botond Botyanszki <boti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:40:11 +0900 (JST)
> Oohara Yuuma <oohara@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > http://gjiten.sourceforge.net
> > > So I'm looking for a sponsor who would upload it into debian.
> > I looked at it.  Comments:
> > * This is not a Debian-native package, so you should provide
> >   both of .orig.tar.gz and .diff.gz .
> My package doesn't require an external patch (.diff.gz).
> As far as I understood from dpkg-source(1), if there are no external
> modifications, then the source package name doesn't need to contain .orig.
I prefer a separate diff in this case, but you are the upstream,
so I think Debian-native packaging is legal as long as the version
number does not contain a hyphen.  1.1-1 is wrong.  See chapter 4
of the Policy.

> From http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-sourcepkg.html:
>
> "If there is no original source code - for example, if the package is
> specially prepared for Debian or the Debian maintainer is the same as
> the upstream maintainer - the format is slightly different: then there
> is no diff, and the tarfile is named package_version.tar.gz and contains
> a directory package-version."
I missed the appendix.

> >   At least libgnome-dev and libdb3-dev are missing.
> libgnome-dev added.
> gjiten doesn't depend directly on libdb3, afaik gnome does.
> libgnome-dev should be suficient here I think.
libgnome-dev seems sufficient.

> > * You should not include INSTALL in .deb .
> The interesting thing is that dh_installdocs does this (BUG??).
> I had to append --exclude=INSTALL to it.
Remove INSTALL from debian/docs .

> > * Don't compile with -ggdb by default.
> Forgot to remove that before release.
> BTW, doesn't dh_strip get rid of all the debugging information ?
dh_strip does the right thing, but this is a matter of policy.
| Rationale: Using -g by default causes wasted CPU cycles since the
| information is stripped away anyway; this can have a significant impact
| on the efficiency of the autobuilders.
(the Policy, version 3.5.6.0, section 11.1, footnote)

> > * Being sponsored means you maintain the package.  To maintain
> >   a package you need a Debian account and you need to apply
> >   the NM process if you don't have one,  If you just want to
> >   see gjiten in Debian, file a RFP bug against wnpp.
> As I'm the upstream maintainer/developer I would like to maintain
> the debian package also. At least this is the recommended/preferred way
> I heard.
I heard the opposite: it is better to put the burden of packaging
correctly (that is, reading the entire policy, developers-reference,
libpkg-guide, ...) on another person.  I think upstream == .deb maintainer
is ideal if the upstream has _enough_ time, though.

> It looks to me that applying for the NM and getting sponsored is not
> that easy as I thought, though I'll try do do everything possible I can.
> Filing a RFP bug is also fine with me, but I have a feeling that this
> will just sit there on the "wishlist" for months.
or years

> Any recommendations?
You may be interested in Debian JP.  Although it is not a part of Debian,
it has its own .deb archive, and many Japanese Debian developers are
working for it.
<disclaimer>
* Debian JP is encouraging to integrating a package to Debian if
  it can be worldwide, that is, if it is useful even outside of Japan.
* Debian JP does not release.
* I am not a member of Debian JP.
</disclaimer>

> > * According to language-env, the default LANG for Japanese
> >   environment is ja_JP.eucJP, not ja_JP .
> According to /etc/locale.alias, ja_JP is an alias for ja_JP.eucJP,
> so I think this is fine as ja_JP.
I see ja_JP in /etc/locale.alias .  I don't know a difference between
ja_JP and ja_JP.eucJP .

--
Oohara Yuuma <oohara@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Debian developer