[debian-devel:18177] Re: MBF: fonts-*-gothic: fonts-japanese-* is not registered as virtual package

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 04:10:22AM +0900, Hideki Yamane wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 20:55:27 +0900
> Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> > I am wondering the value of having ttf-japanese-* these days since we
> > are moving toward fontconfig.
>
>  fontconfig doesn't help to handle with fonts in TeX or so.
>  Then, I provide this fonts-japanese-*, it doesn't relate to defoma.

Which tex?  TTF using tex is XeTeX.  XeTeX uses fontconfig as I
understood. DDP documents use XeTeX now.

pTeX (ptex-jtex etc.) may be different.  But then maybe provide specific
help to ones requiring .. probably like  dvi2ps-fontdata-ja ...

I thought people need to convert font data to TFM/VF from TTF/OTF if
they want to use OTF in classic TeX.

If it is for specific text support, maybe some other auto conversion
helpper solution may be more useful.  I have no idea on this side.

Osamu