Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 18:28:25 +0900
From: henrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Concern about libdvdcss distribution (Re: (My last) bits from the DPL)

Hi,

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 04:47:19PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> >
> > Libdvdcss and ZFS soon in Debian?
> > =================================
> >
> > We received legal advice from Software Freedom Law Center about the
> > inclusion of libdvdcss and ZFS in Debian, which should unblock the
> > situation in both cases and enable us to ship them in Debian soon.

To distribute some mechanism to avoid copy protection such as DRM is
illegal in Japanese law (Unfair Competition Prevention Act) since 2012.

It means that putting libdvdcss package into Debian repository causes
problems in Japan, and most of organization that provides Debian mirror
will _stop_ mirroring for Debian. Maybe libdvdcss is okay in other area,
but not here in Japan.

So please, don't take mirrors away from Japan...

--
Regards,

 Hideki Yamane