[debian-users:35418] help to install japanese on debian 3.0

Dear list users,

I am sorry to write in English but my Japanese is not yet perapera !
I hope that some of you can understand English.

I burned a CD with the debian 3.0 woody distrib.
I then installed the debian distribution on a PC I have at home.

I have now 2 problems:

1) My wife is Japanese so I wanted to create an account for her with everything in Japanese
but the KDE menu section for languages proposes only C and Chinese.
I created all the locales with locales-gen but it did not change.
Is there a way to have KDE in Japanese ?

2) We want both to input Japanese. I want to input Japanese in my English (or better French)
KDE environment and of course, she wants to enter Japanese in her Japanese environement if we can set it up !

I checked all what I could:

- jserver is running (I saw it at startup loading all the dicitonaries)
- cannaserver is running
- kinput2-canna-wnn is running
- the Japanese locales are installed
- kterm is launching without any problem

But I cannot still write in Japanese.
I tried with vi, kedit and mozilla with all the possible key combinations :
shift + space, kanji/kanna special keys, etc but I cannot input Japanese.

How to set up our environments to input Japanese ?

Last question:
I have a Japanese keyboard with special romaji/kanji/kana conversion keys
one on the top left and one on the right of the space bar.
Is there a way to use directly these keys instead of the shift-space combination ?

Thank you for your help,

yoroshiku onegaishimasu,

Mathieu MANGEOT-LEREBOURS
Visiting Researcher National Institute of Informatics
Hitotsubashi 2-1-2-1913 Chiyoda-ku Tokyo 101-8430 Japan
Tel: +81-3-4212-2672 Fax: +81-3-3556-1916
http://www-clips.imag.fr/geta/mathieu.mangeot
Papillon project: www.papillon-dictionary.org