[debian-users:35419] Re: help to install japanese on debian 3.0

From: Mathieu MANGEOT-LEREBOURS <mangeot@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [debian-users:35418] help to install japanese on debian 3.0
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 23:52:46 +0900

> 1) My wife is Japanese so I wanted to create an account for her with
> everything in Japanese
> but the KDE menu section for languages proposes only C and Chinese.
> I created all the locales with locales-gen but it did not change.
> Is there a way to have KDE in Japanese ?

There is a Debian package to automate language setting, called
language-env.  I'm not sure about whether language-env can work with
KDE, though, because I don't use KDE.  language-env comes with
detailed documentation and general tips for using Japanese on Debian.
After installing language-env, look to /usr/share/doc/language-env

> 2) We want both to input Japanese. I want to input Japanese in my
> English (or better French)
> KDE environment and of course, she wants to enter Japanese in her
> Japanese environement if we can set it up !

Do you install kinput2?  Using Japanese input method on X, you have to
install kinput2-common and kinput-<conversion engine name>, for
example, kinput2-canna-wnn

> I tried with vi, kedit and mozilla with all the possible key
> combinations :
> shift + space, kanji/kanna special keys, etc but I cannot input
> Japanese.

How about emacs?