下方に書いてあるように ~/.xpdfrc を作り、

$ /usr/local/bin/xpdf aaa.pdf

を実行すると、日本語の入った aaa.tex(下方に記載)から作成した
pdfファイルを、xpdfで見ることができました。

作成した ~/.xpdfrcはそのままにして、
元々インストールされている xpdf で見てみようと、

$ /usr/bin/xpdf aaa.pdf

を実行すると、

Syntax Error: Missing language pack for 'Adobe-Japan1' mapping
Syntax Error: Unknown font tag 'F1'
Syntax Error (190): No font in show/space
Syntax Error: Missing language pack for 'Adobe-Japan1' mapping
Syntax Error: Unknown font tag 'F1'
Syntax Error (190): No font in show/space

のようなエラーがでて、日本語を見ることはできませんでした。

aaa.pdfは、次のaaa.texを、

$ platex aaa
$ dvipdfmx aaa.dvi

として、作ったものです。

------aaa.texの中身-----------------------
\documentclass{jarticle}
\begin{document}
これはテストです。
本日は$f(x)=\sin x$
\begin{enumerate}
 \item
      aa
\end{enumerate}

\end{document}
------aaa.texの中身 ここまで-----------------------

あまり関係ないとは思いますが、ファイルサイズがあまりに違うので、
ダウンロードしたxpdfと元々インストールされているxpdf の ls -l
の結果を書いておきます。

$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/xpdf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff 9928345 10月  4 19:52 /usr/local/bin/xpdf

$ ls -l /usr/bin/xpdf*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   2358  6月  1  2013 /usr/bin/xpdf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 198152  7月  3  2014 /usr/bin/xpdf.real

最後に、作成した ~/.xpdfrc です。
(これでいいのかどうか自信はありません。)

----------~/.xpdfrcの中身-----------------------------------------------
#========================================================================
#
# System-wide xpdfrc file
#
# Xpdf looks for a config file in the following two places:
# 1. ~/.xpdfrc
# 2. /etc/xpdf/xpdfrc
#
# Note that if ~/.xpdfrc exists, Xpdf will NOT read the system
# configuration file /etc/xpdf/xpdfrc. You may wish to include it
# from your ~/.xpdfrc using:
#    include /etc/xpdf/xpdfrc
# and then add additional settings.
#
# For complete details on config file syntax and available options,
# please see the xpdfrc(5) man page.
#
# http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/
#
#========================================================================

#----- PostScript output control

# Set the default PostScript file or command.

psFile			"|lpr"

# Set the default PostScript paper size -- this can be letter, legal,
# A4, or A3.  You can also specify a paper size as width and height
# (in points). Xpdf uses the paper size in /etc/papersize by default.

#psPaperSize		letter

#----- text output control

# Choose a text encoding for copy-and-paste output.  The Latin1,
# ASCII7, and UTF-8 encodings are built into Xpdf.

textEncoding		UTF-8

# Choose the end-of-line convention for multi-line copy-and-paste.
# The available options are unix, mac, and dos.

#textEOL		unix

#----- misc settings

# Enable anti-aliasing of fonts. Default "yes".

#antialias		no

# Set the command used to run a web browser when a URL hyperlink is
# clicked.

urlCommand	"sensible-browser '%s'"

# Unbind arrow keys so we can change fullscreen behavior
unbind down any
unbind right any
unbind up any
unbind left any

# Rebind arrow keys to defaults in the windowed context
bind down window scrollDown(16)
bind right window scrollRight(16)
bind up window scrollUp(16)
bind left window scrollLeft(16)

# Bind arrow keys to next/prev page actions in the fullscreen context
bind down fullScreen nextPage
bind right fullScreen nextPage
bind up fullScreen prevPage
bind left fullScreen prevPage

# Include additional character maps (these are provided by the
# poppler-data package). The /etc/xpdf/includes file is automatically
# kept up to date by the package scripts.  See the file itself for
# more details.
#----- begin Japanese support package (2011-sep-02)
cidToUnicode	Adobe-Japan1	/usr/local/share/xpdf/japanese/Adobe-Japan1.cidToUnicode
unicodeMap	ISO-2022-JP	/usr/local/share/xpdf/japanese/ISO-2022-JP.unicodeMap
unicodeMap	EUC-JP		/usr/local/share/xpdf/japanese/EUC-JP.unicodeMap
unicodeMap	Shift-JIS	/usr/local/share/xpdf/japanese/Shift-JIS.unicodeMap
cMapDir		Adobe-Japan1	/usr/local/share/xpdf/japanese/CMap
toUnicodeDir			/usr/local/share/xpdf/japanese/CMap
#fontFileCC	Adobe-Japan1	/usr/..../kochi-mincho.ttf
#----- end Japanese support package
fontFileCC      Adobe-Japan1    /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-mincho.ttf
fontFile   Ryumin-Light    /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-mincho.ttf
fontFile   Ryumin-Light-H  /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-mincho.ttf
fontFile   Ryumin-Light-Identity-H /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-mincho.ttf
fontFile   FutoMinA101-Bold-Identity-H     /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-mincho.ttf
fontFile   GothicBBB-Meidum        /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   GothicBBB-Medium-H      /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   GothicBBB-Medium-Identity-H     /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   Shingo-Medium-Identity-H        /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   ShinGo-Bold-Identity-H  /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   ShinGo-Ultra-Identity-H /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   HeiseiKakuGo-W5 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   HeiseiKakuGo-W7 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   HeiseiKakuGo-W9 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   MidashiGo-MB31  /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   FutoGoB101-Bold /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   MS-Gothic       /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   MS-PGothic      /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   HG-GothicB      /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   Kochi-Gothic    /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   LX-Gothic       /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   LX-P-Gothic     /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   MSPゴシック  /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   MSゴシック    /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   DFPゴシック  /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   DFP特太ゴシック      /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   @ヒラギノ角ゴ3等幅      /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   @ヒラギノ角ゴ5等幅      /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf
fontFile   @ヒラギノ角ゴ7等幅      /usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-japanese-gothic.ttf