[debian-devel:10986] Re: ITP: xfs-xtt

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:
> I do not know enough about xfs-xtt to comment on it. In fact...this is the
> first I have known of its existance.

I've been using X-TT (compiled locally) for some time, and it does have some
advantages over the other two true-type servers available on the net (last
time I checked, about 6 months ago). X-TT deals quite well with huge fonts
with >1000 glyps, such as CJK fonts and massive stuff such as CyberBit, and
handles deferglyps well.

It also has an extension to the font-name (alias?) X11 files, which allow
for correction and manipulation of fonts, including producing bold fonts and
slanting them I think. These can be *very* handy for creating derivate forms
(italics? bold, monospace) when you don't have all variants and can't shell
the $$$ to get professional font packs (the Asian ones are very expensive
for a starving student, not to mention very hard to get in Brazil ;-) ).

> > If we really have both packages in the archive, it would be nice if they
> > could point out their pros and cons compared to the competing package in
> > their README.Debian's.

AFAIK if you need to use massive Unicode fonts, or CJK ones, get X-TT. It
was designed to work in deferglyphs mode and CJK fonts. Otherwise, you
should be fine with any of them. Actually, if you only have ISO-8859 fonts
on your system, X-TT might not be the best tool for the job.

> I supose it would be. The main difference I see is that xfs-xtt is probably
> a complete x font server AND truetype font server...which means it can
> serve normal X fonts and render truetypes and serve them up.

That's the way the one I use works, but then I compiled it using the X-TT
patch over XFree86's xfs, so that was to be expected :-)

> xfstt ONLY does the second part of that. Thus xfstt is not an xfs
> replacement

xfs-xtt probably handles both, if they applied the X-TT patch over the
regular xfs (which means you get exactly what you had with xfs, plus X-TT
extensions for TrueType fonts). Will install it and try it out.

  Henrique Holschuh