[debian-users:15681] Re: Forward: internal ethernet

Hi,

In message <Pine.GSO.4.02A.9906011356450.10554-100000@suklow07>
   Kai Martens <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I am about to buy a SONY vaio PCG-Z505D(X) laptop (Japanese model). The
> ....DX version has a 'communications connector' that allows to directly
> hook up to ethernet. How would I make potato talk ethernet to that
> connector? I guess I need a device driver - and hope I am not going to be
> told that this connector is a similar deal as winmodems are...

The internal ethernet chip of PCG-Z505DX is the intel 82557 chip that
is used in Intel EtherExpress Pro 100. So you can use the 'eepro100'
driver.

But there are two small problems.

(1) The 'eepro100' driver can't be initialized after warm-booting from
    Win98. Linux must be cold-booted.

(2) After suspending and resuming the vaio, the i82557 chip becomes
    inoperative. You must reload the 'eepro100' driver module after
    resuming to make the i82557 chip operative.

--------
Kazuki YASUMATSU
kyasu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kazuki.Yasumatsu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx