[debian-users:38870] Re: Trying to help someone set up Japanese input in Debian.

Thank you very much for the help, and my apologies for taking so long
to respond.  I was out of town and then side-tracked by several other
things.

Tomohiro KUBOTA <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> I do not speak Japanese, but I'm trying to set up a machine so that a
>> friend who is learning Japanese will be able to at least compose email
>> messages from emacs21 (21.3) using gnus (5.10.2).
>
> Emacs21 does support Japanese.  I don't know about gnus.  To use
> Japanese, we will have to check if the software supports multibyte
> languages such as Japanese.

I think gnus does, but I'm not positive.

>> I noticed a number of packages that looked like they might be
>> relevant: canna, anthy, egg, and yc-el, but it was not clear to me
>> which of these were required, or might be the best choices.
>
> Please install language-env package and the documents therein.

OK, I have installed language-env.  It looks like my friend should now
run set-language-env, but do I need to install canna, wnn, skk, or any
other packages before that?

Also, since they're still learning Japanese, for now they would like
to be able to compose email messages in Japanese, but if possible,
they would prefer the rest of their environment to remain in English.
If that's not possible, I can probably just set up a separate account
for them.

In case it matters, the model they are used to is that of the Mac,
where they can change the input method temporarily to Japanese and
then back to English whenever necessary.

Thanks again.
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu