[debian-users:20310] Re: Debian のダイエット

佐野@浜松です。

In article <03e901bf6336$03ff25a0$c132610a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
  at Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:04:54 +0900,
   on Re: Debian のダイエット,
 "Yutarou Ebihara" <ebihara@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> さん writes:

> ですので、/var/lib/dpkg などは環境を整えるマシンに置いておいて、
> 実行マシンの方には持っていかないつもりです。極端な話、実行マシン
> の方には apt も dpkg も要らないんです。

 boot-floppies の中にある busybox を使うと、
機能は制限されるけれども、サイズはそれなりに減少できるかも。

 woody 向けには boot-floppies から分離して独立パッケージに
なるような話です。

> OK, but what is busybox conceptually?

Think of it as a Swiss Army Knife.

From the webpage ( http://busybox.lineo.com/ ):

    BusyBox is a suite of tiny UNIX utilities in a multi-call binary.
    It provides a fairly complete POSIX environment in a very small
    package. Just add a kernel, as shell (such as ash), and an editor
    (such as elvis-tiny or ae) to create a working system. BusyBox
    is used by (and in fact was originally developed for) the Debian
    installation disks, but it also makes an excellent environment for
    any small or embedded system.

Basically, it provides reduced versions of the utilities you usually
find in gzip, util-linux, fileutils, shellutils, textutils, bsdutils,
findutils, sysutils, procps, sysklogd, mount, sysvinit, tar, grep, and
probably some others I can't think of at the moment.

> By the way, the problem with building my own binaries is that I have no
> debian to build them on!  I'll recheck with the 2.2.3 that are out there.

Hmm. We really should get some new boot floppies out there soon. The
boot floppies still have some grave busybox bugs. Of course, even with
the busybox bugs fixed, I don't know if your problems from bug #53563
will be solved...

--
     # (わたしのおうちは浜松市、「夜のお菓子」で有名さ。)
    <kgh12351@xxxxxxxxxxx> : Taketoshi Sano (佐野 武俊)