[debian-devel:11544] Re: Installed man-db 2.3.10-70 (source i386)

Fabrizio Polacco <fab@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 01:17:58PM +0100, Carsten Leonhardt wrote:

> > I'm running groff with jless for at least a year on several systems
> > without problems.

> Interesting.
> Did your users use extended chars or only english?

Well, the two people that look at manpages on these systems read the
english manpages.

> I had a problem a couple of months ago, while testing Hungarian manpages
> and found that switching from jless to less solved it.
> But now it looks a gone problem.

I took a look at the non-english manpages with "LANG" set accordingly
and correct fonts. hu, pl, fi and it show just fine, the rest
either didn't install, didn't show up at all (manpage displayed in
english), or depended on my replacing groff with jgroff.

> Do you feel that we can ask for jless to replace less?

Hmm... I just saw something:

I have "LANG=de_DE" and "LC_MESSAGES=C".

If I use jless to view a file with non-ASCII ISO-8859-1 characters on
the console, I see an "A" before each such char. In an xterm it's
displayed correctly. Is it me, or is it a general problem?

leo