[debian-devel:17381] Re: License issue of fdclone

On August 30, 2008, [debian-devel:17379],
osamu (at debian.org) wrote:

> > It's my understanding of FD-3.00c/LICENCES* that book publishers
> > are required to contact the upstream author *if the author's
> > guarantee is required*, that is acceptable to DFSG.
> >
> > Hmm, the old (FD-1.x) license statement remains in the
> > FD-3.00c/README* files, that is non-free.
>
> Sounds like I need to read 3.00 one instead of fdclone-2.06c source.

The differences between FD-3.x licence and FD-2.x licence are the
title change and a typo fix.

The below is a summary of FD-3.x/2.x LICENCES*:

[...]
| <2.Re-Distribution>
|
|   About re-distribution in a narrow sense, re-distribution of
| a source and a binary is permitted, if modified or not. You
| can do it freely in any purpose, profit or not. Re-distribution
| after the secondary one is as free as this.
|
|   However, the author doesn't take any responsibility for thef
| re-distributed package. If you want any guarantees to keep
| original or to work normally, the re-distributor himself will
| needs to guarantee.
[...]
| <3.Re-Circulation>
|
|   Re-circulation of a source and a binary is permitted, if
| modified or not. You can do it freely in any purpose, like
| re-distribution in a narrow sense,
|
|   But, in order to take care of the re-circulated package as
| possible, a circulation registration system is established
| for a part of circulation form. The author cannot take any
| responsibility for the re-circulated one with no registration,
| like the re-distributed one.
|   The author takes care of the registered re-circulation
| equivalent to the primary circulation. If you don't need
| this, you don't have to make circulation registration.
[...]

Points:

* the "circulation registration" is optional.
  (large part of LICENCE* is for the "circulation registration")

* Redistribution of source and binary, with or without modification,
  for any purpose, is permitted, that is compliant to DFSG.

Thanks,
--
Tatsuya Kinoshita